Medical cannabis users can spoil themselves with a wide range of edibles they can make at home. It includes cannabis soup, cannabis popsicles, cannabis burgers, cannamilk with cereal, cannabis lollipops, and the perennial weed brownies.
In this perplexing landscape of options, cannabis hard candy is popular DIY edible. It is not just delicious but the THC and CBD level can be precisely calculated in each candy. People with mouth or throat problems can eat them easily. A few special features like the delicious taste, easy to carry and discreetly consumed make it more compelling.
Preparing hard candy is not rocket science but needs focus and speedy hands. The preparation time is roughly 2 hours. However, the ultimate product is worth the effort!
- Cannabutter – 1 cup
- White sugar – 2 cups
- Water – ¾ cup
- Honey – ¼ cup
- Rice or corn syrup – ½ cup
- Sea salt – ½ tsp.
- Almond or vanilla extract – 1 tsp.
- Regular coconut oil or butter – 2 tbsp.
Other things you will need
- Lollipop sticks
- Candy thermometer
- Saucepan with lid
- Wax paper or aluminum foil
- Candy molds
How to prepare cannabis lollipops?
- Heat cannabutter and honey till they convert into a pourable liquid. Set it aside.
- Coat the candy molds with regular coconut oil or butter and place the lollipop sticks on one end.
- Take the saucepan and heat water, sugar, and rice/corn syrup. Cover the saucepan without stirring. Wait till the mixture comes to a boil.
- As soon as the mixture starts boiling, place the candy thermometer and wait for the temperature to reach 132°C [called soft-crack stage]. It takes around 15 minutes past the boiling point to reach the soft-crack stage.
- Add the cannabutter and honey liquid inside and stir. Even add sea salt. Keep stirring until the temperature reaches 148°C [called hard-crack stage]. The mixture will be seen bubbling on the pot edges.
- Turn the heat off and wait for bubbles to wane before adding the almond or vanilla extract.
- Stir the mixture well and pour in the greased molds.
- Allow the candies to cool. After 45 to 60 minutes press the candies out from the mold.
- Wrap these candies in wax paper or aluminum foil and refrigerate.
The cannabutter you prepare is actually a blend of cannabis and butter. It is used to cook cannabis edibles. Remember, edibles made from cannabutter have a long latency period because they get metabolized differently than vaping. As hard candies are enjoyable, you may over-consume THC unintentionally.
If molds are of the same size then you can calculate THC in each candy precisely. Divide the 1 cup cannabutter [note the amount] by the number of molds.
Ensure to keep cannabis candies away from the reach of kids wandering hands!